Thursday, March 27, 2008

Of Parent Teacher Conferences and Changed Schedules

Today we had a conference with Graeme's teacher. He is excelling in most subjects, so it was mostly an update on how to encourage him to be more comfortable in his skin and to be more creative with writing. He struggles with perfectionism {like his mother} and gets worked up about failing {also like me} so he doesn't try if he doesn't have the confidence that he can do it right the first time.

It was interesting to chat with his teacher about all the math facts that are running around in his head. She said she often doesn't know how he gets the answer he does, but he's almost always right. As if we needed another reason to know he was like me; I glanced at the worksheet and rattled off the way I would calculate the problem. She laughed and said that is exactly what Graeme stated to her when she pressed him on how he figured it out so quickly.

The girls are more laid-back like Duncan - but they all thrive on routine. So you throw in a few days where regular activities are out the window and they get a little out of whack. This week they have been off for conferences and next week is Spring Break - so, they're all a little worked up and acting out emotionally. I came home from doing preschool assessments and found that Blaire had found her way into the candy stash from Easter - she quickly hid the 5 open wrappers and the 2 unopened pieces.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yeah, my kids thrive on schedule too... only, they seem to get hyper (the boys anyways!)... but I think the candy thing is funny. Though, I'll never tell Blaire that. ;-)

gjacka said...

I thought that was funny too, sounds like something we would have done...
Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that just yet...
Steven is a bit too young to be that sneaky... he is too into showing us what he has or found...