Thursday, May 07, 2009

Enchiladas

I love Mexican food. I really do. I think I could eat it more than 2x/week if it was available. Duncan likes it in moderation - mostly due to the spice content and his acid reflux. I have tried to make some recipes at home that are a bit milder so they can be spiced up individually. We also always have sour cream on hand to help smooth out the spice.


I grew up making enchiladas in large batches - dipping each corn tortilla in the enchilada sauce and then rolling the meat mixture up inside of that. I find this to be very messy and hot to my fingers. Plus, when I decided to make them yesterday, I realized I didn't have any corn tortillas; only flour. So, I did a quick google search for 'ground beef enchiladas flour tortilla' (I love google!) and came upon this recipe that I tripled:

BEEF ENCHILADAS
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 pkg. taco flavoring
3 tbsp. water
1 (10 oz.) can mild enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (Mozzarella or other)
1 pkg. (10) flour tortillas
Brown ground beef, then simmer with taco flavoring and water. Heat tortillas per package instruction. Using beef filling, fill each tortilla and roll up. Place rolled tortillas in 9x13 pan. Blend together the enchilada and tomato sauce and pour over the tortillas. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.

We had this meal tonight and it was most fabulous. Duncan confessed to me that he wasn't that excited about dinner because he usually doesn't care for enchiladas - "They're usually too saucy". So, the fact that these were not dipped in sauce really made them a hit for him! Plus, mixing the enchilada sauce & tomato sauce together really helped calm the flavor down.

No comments: